5.23.2012

Europe 2012

And here I am writing about another trip I am taking. I make it hard to like me. This trip includes London for most of June with a short trip to Paris and one to Stockholm. Then I am going to meander up to Edinburgh, hopefuly stopping in Nottingham and York. Then I will be in Edinburgh for most of July. I know, you hate me. I would too!

On my way to the gate I passed by the newspaper store thing they have in airports. You know, the ones that sell books, Twizzlers, t-shirts of the city you are in, and those adorable laughing cats. Well the shirt for Ohio says, "Nothing tips like a cow." Nothing tips like a cow?? W.T.F.?? Hey Ohio, stay classy, or should I say stay klassy. Then...

One gate down from where I'm sitting, there is a soldier who just got home and I am *fighting* to hold the tears back as he gets a proper greeting from his family. His daughter made a sign and put on her fanciest dress and her prettiest bow. But it's the pint-sized American flag she is proudly waving that makes this scene beautiful. His mother is breathing a huge sigh of relief, likely not her first. And his wife is faithfully filming every hug, kiss, and teardrop. Welcome home good sir! A big thanks to you and to your family for what you do.

I leave in a few minutes, first stop Dulles then on to London. I am meeting my friend, Sue, when I get there to see our 3-bedroom apartment we'll be sharing in Bloomsbury. Let's be honest, it could be a 10th floor studio and I'd be just as happy. I arrive at 6:20 am London time, but between getting to the apartment and the group outing to Westminster and the London Eye I don't think I'll have any trouble adjusting to the time change.

My plan is to keep up the blog with some walking tour posts like I did before. It will be a good way to get to know London a little better. It's been 15 years since I've been there. To all my loyal readers, if you want me to take pictures of specific things, let me know. Also, if you want postcards, send me your address.


No comments:

Post a Comment