11.21.2010

Season 5 of Doctor Who

We made it half way through season 5 of Doctor Who last night. I am, at this point, referring to the Matt Smith series. Once we watch the other half, we will be caught up in time to watch the Christmas Special and then start up with the new season in February. This makes me deliriously happy! We started watching this 'new' series (starting in 2005) back in July/August this year.

Here are my thoughts on the doctors so far:
Christopher Eccleston (Ninth Doctor): It took me awhile to like him. In fact, I wasn't sure it was going to happen. But by the end of his season I just knew I was going to miss him, and I was right. In his defense, I was also trying to get used to this very new show. I mean, Doctor Who is not like anything else I've ever seen on TV. It has some of the most original story lines, both creepy and just plain awesome, and that is something that I am not used to. I didn't grow up watching it, so this was all new to me. Now, I look back on Chris' time with fondness. I need to rewatch his season to see how I feel from the beginning this time.

David "Ten Inch" Tennant (Tenth Doctor): My favorite so far, but he was around for the longest so far. He was a perfect mix of crazy, fun, smart, and Doctorish. I loved his energy and his compassion. I may have put him on a Christ-like pedestal a few times, but overall, he was a total blast to watch.

Matt Smith (Eleventh Doctor): He's not my favorite. That is not to say I don't like him, but he's a little more abrasive with the people around him. He is constantly telling his companion Amy Pond, to shut up. And I don't like that. Also, I feel like he is sometimes playing David's part and not bringing Matt to the part. Both Chris and Matt brought something unique to the character and so far I haven't seen Matt bring anything different. I am only halfway through his season, so I am keeping an open mind. He had big shoes to fill, so I will reserve full-on judgment until later.

Now on to the companions:
Rose Tyler (Billie Piper; Ninth & Tenth Doctors): I love Rose. It's probably a girl crush, but I don't care. I really liked her. She brought with her a compassion and calm to the people/aliens they met along the way that the Doctor, especially Season 1, was missing. I was terribly sad to see her go and I always look forward to her cameo appearances. I'm glad they gave her a doctor of her own since that was the only time I saw chemistry develop between the Doctor and a companion, mutually.

Martha Jones-Smith (Freema Agyeman; Tenth Doctor): I really wish she had married Mulligan because I wasn't a fan of whiny Ricky/Mickey. That aside, she was awesome. She had certainly had the unrequited love thing going on with the doctor, which made me a little embarrassed and sad for her at times, but overall she was pretty badass. She was not afraid to just jump in, without a lot of questions, and just get to it. Again, she had loads of compassion (supposedly that's the companion's job since they are all women) but she also had guts to make sure the job got done.

Donna Noble (Catherine Tate; Tenth Doctor): I was hesitant about her at first. She is a comedienne and this show isn't (always) a comedy. She also has this habit of screeching, which can get annoying, and there was always the "we're not together" with the Doctor that got annoying. But it didn't take long for her to win me over. She had the biggest heart of them all and was able to ingest humor. I loved the friendship they developed and I think she was a total asset to the show.

Amelia "Amy" Pond (Karen Gillan; Eleventh Doctor): So far she's just OK for me. Her skirts are too short, she tried to molest the Doctor and then asks her fiance to join them on their trips, and she doesn't do much all show until they give her a bright idea at the end (something usually saved for the Doctor). But she's willing to investigate and get dirty, which I can appreciate. So right now, I'm just 'meh' about her. There's still time.

There is a plan to catch up on ALL the old Doctor Who, no matter how crazy people think we are, and I will write my thoughts on those as I get to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment